Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Maintenance Mechanic (3rd Shift)
at UL LLC
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Job Category
UL is seeking a Maintenance Mechanic to join our 3rd Shift Facilities team in Northbrook, IL!
Contribute to a Safer, More Secure, and More Sustainable World. At UL, we know why we come to work. Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with one common purpose – to make the world a safer, more secure, and more sustainable place to live. We clear the way for our customers to introduce the latest products, technological advances, and systems in an increasingly complex world so they can provide peace of mind to the market. Our integrity is woven throughout our company and shapes the way we approach and deliver our solutions. We are proud that the work we do every day has a meaningful contribution to society. We continue to build upon our legacy of trusted expertise and partnership to keep our communities safe and secure as we march forward into the future. This helps us to sleep better at night, and we are confident that the millions of people we touch rest easier too.
The Maintenance Mechanic is responsible for the installation, repair, and maintenance of mechanical, electrical and plumbing equipment, machinery and related controls and components at our facilities.
- Primary responsibility: Oversee nighttime cooling (centrifugal chillers and thermal storage) and heating plants.
- Oversee and control the daily operation of all mechanical equipment in the physical plant and buildings. Perform preventative maintenance, general maintenance, and repairs to the mechanical, plumbing, and control systems for the facility to keep these systems up to applicable standards.
- Responsible for facility services, preventative maintenance, purchasing and inventory control, general maintenance and technical proficiency.
- Monitors operation and maintains refrigeration, water cooling and air conditioning equipment, boilers, heating, ventilating and hot water equipment, pumps, valves, piping and filters, other mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Performs and/or completes all service requests accurately and expediently.
- Formulates and implements the preventative maintenance program for the building in conjunction with the Operations Manager.
- Performs preventative maintenance tasks in a timely manner.
- Evaluates building systems to monitor and improve performance and operating efficiencies.
- Complies with all policies and procedures established for the property
- Ability to work long hours occasionally and some weekends.
- Responds to after-hours calls within two hours, and keeps company-issued phone on at all times.
- Actively participates in emergency response procedures, technical and safety training programs.
- Perform all work using the proper safety equipment and in a safe manner. Report safety issues to supervisor.
- Completes all required training and safety programs.
- Tracks and reports time worked in accordance with account policies and procedures.
- Complies with all purchasing and receiving policies and procedures.
- Reports property issues that are not within direct responsibility to supervisor or call center team.
- Special projects and other functions as required by manager or client.
- Occasional snow removal operations.
- Performs other duties as directed.
- High school diploma or GED required
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in electrical, HVAC trade, including Roof Top Units
- Knowledge of maintenance and operation of building automation, water treatment and fire life safety systems
- Universal CFC certification preferred
- Good interpersonal skills and a positive team attitude
- Ability to safely work independently
- Familiarity with computers and operations and office automation applications, including Microsoft Office
- Strong customer service orientation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk long distances to cover property portfolio. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Additionally, the employee may need to climb exterior ladders and/or use boom lifts at extended heights.
- Ability to travel, on occasion, to other facilities within the UL family of companies when the need arises.
- Ability to wear proper PPE, specifically half-mask respirators, where/when necessary
- Demonstrated consistency in values, principles and work ethic
- Understanding of and commitment to client service
- A desire to work within a diverse, collaborative, and driven professional environment
- CDL License a plus
- Desire and ability to work 3rd shift (~10:00 PM – 6:30 AM)