Kansas City Southern Railway
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Mechanic - System Production
at Kansas City Southern Railway
This position maintains and repairs railroad track construction heavy equipment around the Kansas City Southern Railway system. *This is a system-wide position without a specific home office.*
- Repair and maintain engines including: 4-6 cylinder Detroit; John Deere; Hatz, Deutz and Cummings.
- Replace and maintain bearings and gears in Funk, Allison, and Clark transmissions.
- Maintain heavy equipment such as track hoes and front-end loading style equipment, Caterpillars and Motor Graders.
- Troubleshoot and repair 6V, 12V, and 24V electrical systems.
- Repair and maintain various hydraulic systems.
- Operate large manual hand tools and electric, pneumatic, or hydraulic hand tools such as drills and impact wrenches.
- Occasionally operate other heavy equipment as required.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Possess a valid Class B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) (or able to obtain within first 60 days of employment) with HAZMAT and air brake endorsements preferred
- Must have requisite color vision acuity
- 2 years minimum of verifiable mechanical work experience or training strongly preferred
- 1 year minimum of verifiable training and/or experience working with gasoline and diesel engines on large, industrial equipment strongly preferred
- 3 months minimum of verifiable training and/or experience with arc (stick) and/or gas welding preferred
- 1 year minimum of verifiable training and/or experience with electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic diagrams and schematics preferred
- Basic knowledge of components used in electrical circuits, their functions and determine if operating properly
- Able to read, write and communicate (speak, hear and understand) English
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions (hot, cold, rain, snow and sleet), uneven surfaces; safety sensitive work environment
- Available to work alternating shifts that may include weeknights, weekends and holidays, overtime and on-call
- Available to travel to and remain on job sites in designated seniority region for extended periods, sometimes days or weeks at a time over large geographic region
- Able to lift and carry up to 60 lbs. frequently
- Able to use hands to perform activities involving holding, grasping, turning and pulling
- Able to perform work on uneven surfaces; frequently climb ladders, get on/off equipment and work from various heights including making repairs on top of or below heavy equipment and trucks
- Able to work in conditions with loud noise and fumes; work on/around heavy/moving machinery; bend, lift, walk, stand, sit for extended time; and use hand tools
- Must be familiar with all DOT regulations regarding the movement of machinery and hazardous materials including the procurement of overweight and oversize permits in various states.
May be required to take a mechanical aptitude test. Probationary period of 60 days.
This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement and the successful applicant will be required to join the union. Monthly union dues are required and will be deducted from the employee's paycheck.
The duties, responsibilities and qualifications in this posting are representative categories to be used by an applicant in deciding whether to apply for the position. These general guidelines do not constitute an exhaustive list of qualifications or essential functions of the position. In addition, these general guidelines bear no relation to, nor are they intended to modify or conflict with, any collective bargaining agreement provision. Questions about the collective bargaining agreement, if any, governing the position described herein should be directed to the appropriate union organization.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.